Sisterhood Stories – Freelensing

I was sitting in the garden in the sunshine one day last week, with my camera at the side of me.  I don’t know what it was that reminded me, but I remembered reading about freelensing somewhere a while back.  Something I would never DARE to do back then.

It involves taking the lens off your camera, and just holding it against the camera body while moving it away slightly to create a tilt/shift effect.  (This is quite a scary concept to me because of the danger of getting any kind of dirt inside the camera and on the sensor, which can damage the sensor and/or make strange marks and squiggles on your images.)  Except, I thought you had to turn the lens around, so that’s what I did.  And by doing that I found I was able to get super close up (macro) images.  And the results are below … I decided you don’t have to worry too much about perfect focus, but just go with the arty-farty flow. as you’ll see…. 😉

And because I wanted to know a bit more about this, and because I’m not much of a writer, I looked up “freelensing” on Google and this article by Luke Roberts was pretty interesting, so you might want to have a read.  I also did a search on Flickr, which came up with some great images.  Worth exploring I think!  If you’ve tried this before leave me a comment below, I’d love to know how you got on!

This post is part of the sisterhood stories blog circle, please check out Kay Maguire Photography to see the next blog in the circle.

flower, daisy, freelensing, macro, sara hazeldine, photography nottingham cornflower, flower, blue, nottingham, photography, macro, sara hazeldine

Contact|Like|Tweet|Pin
24/07/2013 - 8:53 pm

Isabelle - I love the results! Magical focus! I too was afraid to try it, but now, maybe I will xox

24/07/2013 - 10:52 pm

Kay - Sara, these are absolutely gorgeous! That definitely a lightbulb moment when you thought to do this :-) Totally understand the nervousness about getting dust inside the camera though – I’m really OTT about changing lenses but am getting better, just not enough so that I would try this yet.

24/07/2013 - 10:53 pm

Andrea - Oh WOW Sara…just gorgeous gorgeous pics

24/07/2013 - 11:42 pm

sue - Freelensing! Never heard of it – but like the sound of it – and absolutely adore the results! Definitely worth taking the risk for…..

25/07/2013 - 9:22 am

Sarah Leigh - These are lovely. I love experimenting, but don’t think I’m brave enough to take the lense off as I’ve had pollen on my sensor before and it’s really tricky to get off. Nice idea, though. Thanks for sharing.

25/07/2013 - 11:49 am

Boo - Sara I LOVE these!! You know me, always up for a bit of arty farty – but these are way more than that!! The colours as well are simply glorious!!!! The orange one has given me a real feeling of happiness!

25/07/2013 - 7:43 pm

Sara Hazeldine Photography - Thanks for all the comments folks, you should try it!

25/07/2013 - 9:08 pm

Kathryn - amazing!

12/01/2014 - 1:46 am

Jessica Patricia Barone - Sara oh these are beautiful, thank you for sharing I would love to try this!

11/06/2014 - 11:49 pm

On Mystery Crochet and Domestic Science | The Mercerie - […] This blog post is a link in a circle of blogs called Sisterhood Stories. You can read the next link by Sara here: […]

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

l a t e s t